Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Apple Sauce Help!

So we got some apples from our ward garden (they have a ton there and it seems like no one has picked any). So today I thought I could dry some and make some applesauce. I tried making some applesauce today. If anyone has made it and will give me some tips, I appreciate it. How long do you boil/simmer the apples for (it seemed to take forever and still didn't seem long enough)?
Also, if you have any tips on drying apples (in an oven) before I try. I want to try making apple juice, but it seems like you need a juicer to do that and I don't have one.

1 comment:

Carrie said...

I just did this, except the apple juice. With the drying, try to slice them very thin, like no more than 1/8 inch in thickness. You can leave the skins on or not. Soak them for 2 minutes in pineapple or lemon juice then blot dry. Lay on a cookie sheet, being careful to keep them from touching. Put them in the oven on the lowest setting your oven can go. 150-175 is best, but 200 is ok. Watch them carefully, but they should take about 12 hours. They are done when there are pliable and very light brown/yellow.

With applesauce, I fill a large pot with 1 inch of water which I boil and then add the apples (quartered), skins, seeds and all and boil for about 10-20 minutes stirring occasionally. When done the apples should be nice and mushy but still basically together. You then need to sift it. I used a foley mill, but any food grinder will do. Then you season it to your liking with any sugar spices etc.

Followers