Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Smoking Ban

The Weber-Morgan Health Department banned smoking in public places, such as parks, cemeteries, sports fields, walking or running trails, and swimming pools. I am glad they were able to get this passed. To read the article from the Standard Examiner, click on the title of this post.
This law went into effect on Monday. I'm not quite sure how they will let everyone know and enforce it. The article said there would be signs, but at the two parks I went to today, I didn't see any signs.
This afternoon, Ian and I went to the park this afternoon, and there, sitting on the playground equipment, were a couple of teens (18 year oldish) smoking. I don't know if it was just tobacco or something else, I didn't get to close. But I actually told them they weren't supposed to smoke in the park. The guy said, "You mean on the playground." And I told him no and explained that they couldn't smoke in the park at all. I surprised myself by talking to them. I wasn't even scared talking to them, usually I don't start talking to people I don't know, especially about something they shouldn't be doing. They were even pretty big teens. Of course I didn't talk long, as Ian was pushing the stroller away from the playground.
Now if we could just get smoking banned from our apartment complex, or at least so far from the building. I hate just sitting inside our apartment and all the sudden smelling smoke. The other night I was woken up at 12:30 by smoke, I sleep right under the open window. It was very annoying. The guy that lives next door to us, goes across the parking lot to smoke, which is fine with me. But there are others, particularly the manager here, that smoke right outside the door, aka right outside our window. I should look in our contract to see what exactly it says about smoking. This is going to be annoying all summer long, as our windows will be open all summer (we don't have AC, so we will have fans and hopefully a window AC).

No comments:

Followers