I took Ian to the preschool screening at the local elementary school. They did a hearing test. Ian’s left ear passed but the right ear failed. The guy said it was a pass/fail test so even just a little thing could cause a fail. He wanted me to bring Ian into his office for more tests in a couple weeks. So I called last week and made an appointment for yesterday. He did more tests, testing for fluid and whatever else (no fluid). Then he took Ian into a sound booth and tested both ears seeing how loud/quiet of sound he could hear in each ear. His right ear does have some hearing loss and may continue to lose hearing and we think it is genetic since Rex’s mom has it too. He did kind of quit cooperating at one point so he wasn’t exactly sure what Ian could hear in his right ear.
The doctor said it shouldn’t really affect him too much. He will probably get preferential seating in school so he can hear everything, but will probably be about it.
I hadn’t really noticed him favoring one ear until recently, after the screening. When I whisper in his right ear, he doesn’t really hear me and when he talks on the phone he uses his left ear.
No comments:
Post a Comment